Friday, November 25, 2016

Thorazine

November 25, 2016


All of my psychiatric hospitalizations since 2010 were the result of trauma from the conglomerate's abuse of me.  During one of those hospitalizations, I asked a nurse if there weren't a medication for sleep that patients could be offered when they got to the hospital that didn't cause them to wet the bed.  She told me that Thorazine is automatically prescribed for sleep because it's less expensive than medications that don't cause patients to wet the bed.  She also told me that she wouldn't want anyone at the hospital to know that she had told me that.

I knew about the bed-wetting because a couple of female patients and I were talking and each of them thought she was crazy when she got to the hospital because she had woken up the first morning and was horrified that she had wet the bed in her sleep.  They realized from talking to each other that it was the medication and not them; otherwise, they wouldn't have known.  

I have never taken Thorazine; I know it's an older medication that has a lot of side effects.  I didn't know that bed-wetting is one of them; most of the public probably doesn't know that, which is probably why jokes about mental patients wetting themselves continue to be considered funny.  

Did the Boston Globe ask whether the medications that are offered or refused to prison inmates have to do with cost more than with how abusable the medications are?  

It's logical that the only medications that a prison would want to give to inmates are those that subdue them without helping them to feel better.  The worse it makes you feel, the less anyone's going to want to buy it from you.  


Copyright L. Kochman, November 25, 2016 @ 1:35 p.m.