Monday, August 28, 2017

I'm not an engineer or an architect.

August 28, 2017



















I'm not a historian or a sociologist.  

A lot of the time, I don't know how or why I am in the middle of politics or even on the periphery of the world stage.

I have said before that I hope that people who have direct power and who read my blogs will ask other people who really know what they're talking about before they decide to do or not do things that I have mentioned.  

I thought that the solar wall was a good idea, if there has to be a wall at the southern border of the United States.  It then occurred to me that the energy from the solar wall could be used to power the desalination of ocean water.  To prevent flooding, I thought that reservoirs that were normally filled only to one third or one half of their capacity could be built at intervals calculated by people who are engineers.  It seems that off-shore wind farms are an energy source of the future; they could also be used to power desalination.  

My thought was that the land on either side of the border could be turned into anything that the engineers who designed the energy/irrigation system thought of; from land that could be used for agriculture to cities that could be built to resorts.  That area could be turned into a place where there's cooperation, rather than contention, between the countries. 

It seems to me that there is a lot of exploitation of migrants, everywhere in the world.  People who are afraid of being deported will do what they're told without question, will work all day for minimal pay, won't report crimes that are committed against them, won't even report crimes that are repeatedly committed against them.  There are reasons to regulate immigration, and those reasons include preventing immigrants from being abused.  

It is difficult for me to say that I am in favor of building a wall; I had never heard of the idea before last year.  I am from a border state; Vermont.  I couldn't have grown up farther away from the places where these issues are happening without being an illegal alien in Canada.  

The United States hasn't historically abused Canada the way that it has abused Latin America.  We haven't destabilized its governments to promote our economic interests. We don't patronize Canada formally or informally as much as we do Latin America, because Canada is more like us than Latin America, meaning that the people who took it from its native inhabitants were white people.  We limit ourselves to jokes about Canadian accents and Canadian clothing and to not thinking about Canada as a world power or future world power.  

All of that being said, and as much as it is our fault that Latin America is in political and economic turmoil, it will be impossible to prevent people from crossing the border until Latin America is respected, stable and prosperous.  

One of my concerns about building a wall is that it will eliminate a pressure valve for people living in bad conditions in Latin America.  Even if they never migrate to the United States, there are probably people who think about migrating, and maybe thinking about it helps them to live in bad conditions without losing all hope.  Despair is never far from volatility.  I don't know what might happen; uprisings?  More situations such as Syria?  An eventual need for American military intervention? 

A wall that gives nothing to Latin America other than a dead end seems problematic to me.  A solar wall/irrigation system, from which viability could grow in all directions, wouldn't be a dead end.  


These are thought that I have written at my phone and not published:
___________________________________



Solar wall and desalination

The salt build-up corrodes the equipment that does the desalinating over time.  What if the process of desalination all happened in the ocean, and the salt was dispersed into the ocean as soon as it was separated from the water, so the fresh water was being sent to land while the salt that was separated from it was being sent into the ocean?

If you needed to prevent the concentration of salt in that area from being too high, could you have the treated waste water FROM land also be sent into the ocean in that area, so that the salt/water ratio didn't change?  


















___________________________________








Copyright, with the exceptions of Internet information, L. Kochman, August 28, 2017 @ 8:26 a.m./This is an impromptu publication.  I am thinking about how to republish my preliminary pages so that the addresses are innocuous.  People who read my blogs ought to know what they say.