Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Another futile attempt to save my housing

May 24, 2017

I wrote this email on May 20th.  It's to the police officer to whom the police station assigned my case in January 2017, who did not find the cameras in my apartment, because he didn't really look for them and couldn't care less.  He hasn't responded to this email, which doesn't surprise me.

The movers are scheduled.  I will be homeless after this weekend.


_________________________________________________________________________________


Officer (name redacted),

Thank you for your voicemail.

Today, I left some information for you at the front desk of the police station.  

There are only 2 possibilities.  Either:

1.  There are hidden, illegal cameras in the apartment which you and the detective did not find.

2.  Mental confusion caused me to think that there are cameras in the apartment when there aren't.  

If you had found the cameras, it wouldn't have been difficult for me to obtain legal representation to stop the eviction.  

If I am so mentally confused that I was willing to throw away this very nice apartment when all I had to do was stop saying that there were cameras in it and the property management would have renewed my lease instead of telling me to leave, then I shouldn't have had to negotiate the entire situation without legal counsel anyway.  

Since all of this began, I have asked for help from 3 separate agencies that are supposed to help poor people.  The Harvard Tenant Advocacy Project told me that they have too many people who need help for them to be able to take my case.  The Community Legal Services and Counseling Center (CLSACC) told me that helping with the problems at my apartment are "not the service that we provide."  Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services (CASLS) also did not work out.

I have played phone tag for a month with the intake coordinator at the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center.  I called their hotline several weeks ago, just to talk about the horrible stress of being the victim not only of voyeurism in my apartment but of a retaliatory eviction for saying that the cameras are in the apartment.  I didn't know whom else to call for emotional support, and I was surprised when the counselor to whom I spoke asked me if I wanted her to give my name to the intake coordinator to start the process of my being able to talk to their legal services.  After never being able to have a phone conversation for weeks, the intake coordinator finally left me a voicemail on Wednesday of this past week, saying "I will be at my desk at this very specific time; if you call me then, I will pick up the phone."  We did talk on Thursday, and on Friday I got a voicemail from someone at their legal services department.  Then I got your voicemail, which I appreciated.


I know that you're at court every Friday.  The most helpful thing that you could do would be to say to the judge that you really think that there are cameras in the apartment, and to ask the judge either to vacate the agreement that I had to sign on April 3, 2017 for lack of tangible evidence at that time that the cameras are in the apartment, or to ask the judge for an emergency stay so that you and the detective can conduct a more thorough investigation of the apartment.  The only issue that caused my being told that my lease would not be renewed was the voyeurism issue; I have paid my rent and utilities every month, kept the apartment clean, and not started trouble with anyone.  

The information that I left for you at the police station starts with a receipt for the hidden camera detector that I finally purchased online on April 1, 2017 and which did not arrive in the mail until April 11, 2017.  According to the directions for that detector, which I followed, there are definitely hidden cameras in the apartment; the detector picked up the signals from them, although I was not able to precisely locate or see the cameras.  

The agreement that I had to sign on April 3, 2017 says that I can't have an appeal and that no stay can be requested for the agreement, so I think that the only thing that you could ask the judge for would be to vacate the entire agreement or issue an emergency stay, if the emergency stay is legally possible.

There is nowhere for me to move to at the end of May 2017, which I knew there wouldn't be.  I fought this situation during the entire semester; it negatively affected everything that I tried to do.  Even so, I tried to maintain my grades; I included copies of a biology test, a computer quiz and a computer lab that are all from this semester, in the information that I left for you at the front desk at the police station today.  

Although I know that it's nice to have a voucher, and although the first thing that I did when all of this began was to do everything that I could not to lose the voucher, it is very degrading to feel that I have to think of myself as a homeless person for the rest of my life, someone who should just be grateful to have a voucher, someone whom anyone can abuse and then toss into the street, someone for whom it doesn't matter that my entire life is being disrupted and I've been treated as if I did something wrong when I am the victim of a crime.  You're not the only person who has not known how to deal with the situation and who has initially treated me as if I'm delusional.  Having to deal with all of the support people who also don't know how to deal with voyeurism, and for whom the majority of clients are people whom they are, rightly or wrongly, used to not believing about all sorts of things, has not contributed to my feeling empowered or really supported.  

MBHP has continued to pay the voucher portion of the rent from month to month, and will also do that if the agreement is vacated or an emergency stay is issued. 

I hope that you can help me.  I really like this apartment, and I know that the actual property manager (name redacted) is entirely innocent of installing the cameras in my apartment or of knowing that the voyeurism isn't a false accusation.  I don't want to have to move; even if there were another apartment available, which there definitely isn't, I would not want to have to move, and I shouldn't have to move.  

I have already been working with the Cambridge Multi-Service Center for help paying to move my things to storage, in the event that my tenancy at this apartment can't be saved.  (I'll pay for the storage; they'll pay for the movers).  If you do ask the judge for help on my behalf this Friday, and the request is denied, I'll be moving into homelessness again on Monday or Tuesday of the following week.  I'm sure that you also know that it is much more difficult to persuade landlords to accept applications for tenancy from homeless people than from people who already have apartments.  



Lena Kochman




Copyright L. Kochman, May 24, 2017 @ 7:54 a.m.