Saturday, August 26, 2017

Speaking of teeth

August 26, 2017



Ask a homeless person who is taking methadone about tooth loss and weight gain.





Why can't the people who are giving the clients the methadone also give each client a toothbrush and a bottle of water with every dose, and why don't they tell the clients, every day, "You have to be careful of dry mouth, and don't eat sweet food and then fall asleep without brushing your teeth."  Why aren't they giving them Biotene?

WHY DON'T THEY DO THAT?  WHY DO THEY SLAP PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO STOP THEIR DRUG HABIT IN THE FACE BY NOT TELLING THEM ABOUT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF METHADONE AND WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO SO THEY DON'T LOSE THEIR TEETH?!

I have movie star teeth by contrast to most of the people around me at shelters, either because they were always poor or because they were or are drug users.  People in their 20's and 30's have to have all of their teeth pulled and to have dentures; at least, they're told that they have to have what's left of their teeth pulled.  I have a feeling that if they weren't being used for dental students to practice pulling teeth, and if there were funding for orthodontics, partial replacements, tooth implants and other procedures, there wouldn't be so many toothless homeless people.  It's very difficult to obtain employment when you have bad teeth or no teeth.  

THERE IS NOTHING GLAMOROUS ABOUT DRUG USE!  

I never did illegal drugs, and I never abused prescription drugs.  However, as I have said, no clinician ever told me that the dry mouth from psychiatric medication causes gum recession.  Gum recession makes your teeth move around.

I used to have one gap between my lower front teeth.  It was never an issue; people always told me that I had a beautiful smile.  

This is what it looks like now:




It was only a few years ago that someone who isn't a clinician finally told me about Biotene.  I was almost 40 before anyone told me.  I had gum recession by the time that I was 24.  My teeth began to move around when I was in my mid-30s.  I didn't lose them, though.  It's not as if I didn't take care of my teeth; I flossed them, I brushed them.  I didn't know what had happened to them.

Only awful people attack other people for things that their targets can't do anything about.  


The addresses are for some of what the Internet says about methadone, tooth loss and osteoporosis.

I also don't believe that methadone doesn't cause weight gain if people who take it say that it does.  In the past, some of the psychiatric medications that I took caused me to gain between 20 and 50 pounds, and I COULDN'T LOSE THE WEIGHT EVEN WHEN I STARVED MYSELF!  People didn't recognize me.   


I don't choose excerpts or supporting information for code purposes.

Copyright, with noted exceptions, L. Kochman, August 26, 2017 @ 6:42 p.m.