Monday, November 28, 2016

I'm not advocating for torture of Guantanamo detainees; I would never do that.

November 28, 2016

How are you supposed to feed people who refuse to eat?  

Hospitals administer IVs to patients who refuse to eat.  I was never one of those patients; I have to be very depressed to stop eating for a few days, and I don't have distorted thoughts about my weight.  Presumably, detainees would obstruct the insertion of IVs and also remove them unless those detainees were strapped down for hours at a time.  

If they were being denied food, that would be a torture, but they're not.  

I wish they'd eat.  There is a plethora of ways for people to articulate their feelings about being detained without hurting themselves.  Do they have access to books and music?  It has to be boring where they are; maybe the hunger strikes and even the fights they're getting into over not eating are their way of having something to think about.  


Copyright L. Kochman, November 28, 2016 @ 11:46 a.m./additions @ 12:13 p.m.