Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Does Boston Medical Center use adult-sized speculums for the gynecological exams of children and infants?

September 20, 2017

Since I was a virgin until I was 27, haven't had sexual intercourse since I was 29, and have never used a vibrator or a sex toy, pelvic exams are physically painful in addition to being emotionally traumatic because of what the conglomerate has done to me.  

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be even one medical office at Boston Medical Center that has pediatric-sized speculums; not even the Pediatric Department.

I was never able to have an exam that used a pediatric speculum during any of the appointments that I had at Boston Medical Center, even when I called or emailed in advance to ask that it be used.  My being banned from having appointments at OB/GYN didn't preclude me from going to the Fast Track through the Emergency Department, without an appointment.  When the pain of the infection was worse than my fear of the hospital, I went to Fast Track months ago, before I gave up on Boston Medical Center's ability or concern for solving that problem.  

Since I did not want to have to have another painful pelvic exam, I went to Pediatrics and asked if I could have a pediatric speculum to take to Fast Track.  I was given what seemed to me to be an adult-sized speculum and I was told that it was the size that is used for pediatric patients, including children and infants.  


Copyright L. Kochman, September 20, 2017 @ 9:50 a.m.